Posts Tagged ‘Local Election results’
Results as they come in
Keep refreshing this page in your browser window (press f5)
Just keeping an eye on the local government elections here in South Tyneside as results are declared in South Shields and Jarrow.
- First off a wrong prediction in the early declarations, Labour’s Melanie Cartwright has taken Monkton from the Independent Alliance with a majority of 391 (didn’t see that one coming).
- Labour holds Whitburn and Marsden as predicted, Tracey Dixon romped home with more than a thousand votes to spare.
- Labour holds Bede ward in Jarrow, as predicted, welcome to Margaret Peacock.
- Ann Walsh holds Biddick and All Saints with an 877 majority.
- Alan Smith (Labour) defeats the Independent Alliance councillor Geraldine White in Fellgate and Hedworth (another prediction comes right).
- Jim Perry holds Primrose for Labour with a majority of over 1000.
- John McCabe holds Hebburn South for Labour
- Gladys Hobson makes a return to South Tyneside Council as Labour wins in West Park (not looking good for the Progressives).
- Just after midnight and Labour has already picked up an extra three seats on South Tyneside Council.
- At 45.5% Cleadon Village and East Boldon has the highest turnout in the borough again.
- HUGE win for Labour in Beacon and Bents, Ahmed Khan the Independent Alliance defendant has been beaten by former Mayor John Anglin with a good workable majority of 203!
- Joanne Bell holds Boldon Colliery for Labour
- Pat Hay wins Harton for Labour, driving another nail into the Progressive’s coffin.
- Mark Walsh wins another seat for Labour, knocking out Gordin Finch (Independent Alliance) in Horsley Hill, if Westoe falls to Labour this could signal the end of the Alliance.
- Westoe has gone Labour again! They must be jubilant as Sheila Stephenson records a 300 odd majority as the Independent Alliance is reduced to a solitary member. (is that right, just Jane Branley left?)
- Former Conservatice Alex Donaldson (also a former Mayor) holds Cleadon Park for Labour.
- Labour hold both seats in Simonside and Rekendyke
- Just waiting for results in Whiteleas and Cleadon Village now, perhaps they are closer than expected?
- Doreen Purvis eventually wins a seat on the Council as Labour takes Whiteleas from Independent Terry Haram
- Jeff Milburn survives as the only Conservative councillor in South Tyneside holding his seat in Cleadon Village and East Boldon with a majority of only 249.
- Mary Butler has taken Hebburn North for Labour to complete the evening’s bruising for the opposition parties.
South Tyneside Council now comprises 48 Labour members (a huge increase of nine seats) and a paltry six seats for the opposition, the real opposition must now come from within the Labour Party. Looks like my predictions yesterday were not far off the mark.
Biggest sweat must have been on the brow of Alex Donaldson who saw his majority reduced to only 21 as June Elsom came very close to unseating him, in total the Labour Party has won 18 of the 19 seats contested, a pretty formidable victory by any standards!