Curly's Corner Shop, the blog!

South Shields premier political blog

A silver lining or a darker cloud?

with one comment

Rising debts force sale of Newcastle Airport

Newcastle International Airport is 51% owned by seven local authorities including our own South Tyneside, the remaining 49% is owned by Copenhagen Airports International. According to unconfirmed reports in the Sunday Times the airport’s loan of some £320m is due for repayment in December 2013.

The report alleges that the airport has been put up for sale by our local councils, whilst the CEO of Copenhagen Airports Rasmus Christiansen says:

“We don’t comment on market speculation. We are often approached by airport investors but we are not in a formal process to sell Newcastle.”

What is not clear is whether the seven local authorities and Copenhagen Airports would be liable to clear the debts prior to a possible sale, or whether a prospective new owner would buy the debt too. This liability may hamper a possible sale, or hang a heavy millstone around the necks of thousands of council tax payers.

It must be hoped that KPMG can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Watch this space!

add to del.icio.us :: Add to Blinkslist :: add to furl :: Digg it :: add to ma.gnolia :: Stumble It! :: add to simpy :: seed the vine :: :: :: TailRank :: post to facebook

Advertisements

Written by curly

April 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm

One Response

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Ironic that with the dawning of Pickle’s gloriously irrelevant and time wasting transparency initiative, whereby local councils are obliged to disclose all spending on goods/services of over £500, a highly significant issue such as this is so opaque.

    LL.B

    April 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: