Talking of Shane Warne
South Shields Labour Party throw a few leg spinners too.
This from a few of the election leaflets being distributed on behalf of Labour in South Shields:
The Tory-led Coalition government have –
- Imposed £35m worth of cuts on South Tyneside Council with more to come
- Odd then that the total budget requirement for this year is only £11.7m less than last year and that the net budget requirement is £0.7m higher. Also odd that they don’t disclose that Alistair Darling planned to make cuts just about of the same order as the present government if Labour had won the general election, indeed Darling declared that cuts would have to be harder and deeper than in the Thatcher years.
- Increased VAT to 20% meaning we all have to pay higher prices for everyday things.
- Why don’t they mention that Labour’s last Chancellor wanted to introduce two similar rises?(As disclosed by Lord Mandelson)
Your Labour Council will –
- Improve our town centre – from Ocean Road to King Street and the Market Place.
- Please don’t laugh, I know you have heard this MANY times before and are still waiting to see it happen! Perhaps they meant replacing a few more paving blocks.
- Continue to bring down Council Tax by looking at better ways of delivering services – no increase in Council Tax for 2011!
- This one spun so much it missed the wicket keeper! Seriously can you believe that statement? For a start lets break it down into two pieces, firstly the claim that Labour will continue to bring down Council Tax, the word continue suggests an ongoing process, something which has happened before, is happening now and will happen in the future. Can anyone remember when Labour last did anything except INCREASE Council Tax in South Tyneside? No……neither can I.
- Secondly the use of the exclamation mark after – no increase in Council Tax for 2011 – suggests that Labour was in some way responsible for this first ever freeze, when we all know they could never be responsible for anything except tax rises. This is the most outrageous use of “spin” I’ve seen for years in this borough. The Council Tax freeze has been imposed on our council by the Conservative led coalition government, and if our council manages our money well we may find that it is frozen again next year as the grant system rewards prudence.
Finally there is a statement that Labour is (amongst other things)
- Committed to driving down Council Tax.
- Well, it beggars belief really, can you recall all of those consultation exercises and public polls that offered you a choice of four levels of council tax rises, but never once offered a freeze or a cut? Can you really believe they are committed to driving down Council Tax in South Tyneside – I cannot!
Don’t be taken in by this spin and please remember on May 5th. that in South Tyneside Council Taxes under Labour have done nothing else except rise inexorably year after year after year. It was a Conservative led government that brought you this year’s tax freeze!